Monday, October 29, 2012

Welcome to the Family

Each year, we have traditions that must be carried out.  This past weekend was one of our famous family weekends where we welcome the newcomers to the team in our own special way.  As a swim team who acts more like a giant family of 70, we are very dear with our traditions that bring us closer together.  Our coach Tom, is the leader of the pack and guides us on our journey of 6 long months together.  My past three years on this team have really shaped me into the person I am today and without these traditions, I don't think our family would be the same- if a family at all.  With that said, this year has been very different for me because I am a senior and one of the captains helping lead the pack along side Tom, the other coaches, and the other captains.  I consider this to be an honor and I am very grateful to be considered a role model for the underclassmen to look up to.  Finally, being on the other side of the cheers, speeches, and prayers, while at the same time being the one organizing the traditions for the family, and the one swimmers come to with their comments, complaints, and concerns is a huge role to take on and I am more than happy to do it! I have actually waited my whole swimming career for this time to come, my time to shine and share everything I have learned in this sport over the past 14 years of my life.  After our first two meets, I can already tell that this year will be very special and as Tom would say I am moderately pleased.  I vow to make this year one of my best yet- I want to be the best swimmer, friend, sister, pep pal, cheerer, leader I can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment